These instructions are based on an iPhone 12.
In order to send and receive emails on a computer, tablet or smart phones, you need to ensure that the settings are correct. Before you can set up your emails on any device, you will need to know the following:
Your email address
Your incoming mail server settings
The password that has been assigned to your email account.
Your outgoing mail server settings
If you have an email address from a large email provider such as Gmail or Hotmail, you may not need to know your incoming and outgoing mail server settings.
If you don’t have this information, you may struggle to set up your emails.
- On your iPhone go to Settings
- Select Mail
- Select Accounts. This will show you a list of existing email addresses on that phone and may include calendars.
- Select Add Account
- Choose Other
- Add Mail Account
- Name – this is the name that you’d like to display to help you identify the account. This is useful if you have more than one email account on your phone.
- Type your email address. This needs to be the full email address e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type your Password. As you type, it will usually display black circles instead of the actual characters. Passwords are case sensitive so you need to make sure that you use capital or lower case letters correctly.
- Press Next
- Choose IMAP as this will keep your account synchronised if you check your email account on more than one device.
- At this point you will need the details about your incoming and outgoing mail servers. You have to specify both Incoming and Outgoing email settings to ensure that you can both receive emails and reply or send emails from your iPhone.
- Type in your Incoming Mail Server e.g. villagewebcompany.co.uk
- Type in your Username, which is usually your full email address
- Your password may already be completed automatically by your phone, if it has it will look like black circles
- Type in your Outgoing Mail Sever. Your phone will tell you that this is optional but in my experience it usually needs them in order to satisfy the security requirements.
- Press Next
- Your phone will now Verify the details that you have provided to check that the details are correct.
- If for any reason the verification stage is unsuccessful, double check that you have provided the correct details The most common to look out for are making sure that you’ve not used capital letters instead of lower case or vice versa, not made any typos or made any other mistakes such as accidentally using a zero instead of the letter O.
If you’re a Village Web Company client and need any help, please let me know.